Monday, January 30, 2012

Adventures of cities and one-way streets

The next day being Wednesday, my sister rode with me down to school because she had some art classes in the same town. Now, I live in the country, I always have. I can drive in busy towns, manage highways, and I can handle myself under pressure when driving in chaos…usually. This time though, I’m afraid I didn’t handle it well at all. After dropping her off at the Art Center, I left to find my way back to the college campus. I had written directions and clutched them in my hand as I griped the steering wheel. I managed to  maneuver my large, boxy, and rather awkward car out of the parking space on the side of the street, and headed off in what I though was the right direction. Needless to say, I took a wrong turn and ended up going over a bridge in the complete opposite direction.

At this point, you are probably thinking what I thought during that time, “Ok, just turn around and head right back.” In theory, it was a good idea, that is until I got to the other side of the bridge and realized I had to find my way through a maze of one-way streets to get back to the other side of the river. Once I got to the other side though, I continued to drive around, not daring to stop for fear of being beeped or yelled at by the experienced drivers of the city. At last I found the Art Center again, I looked at it like I had found a long lost friend. After calling my sister and choking out the word “Help!” when she picked up, we got directions from the lovely little old lady working the morning receptionist position in the Art Center. I found my way back to familiar roads extremely un-eventfully this time (which is fine by me!) and then at last! after nearly an hour of confused driving, frustration and tears, I found my way to the campus (and was 15 min. late for my high ropes class!).
All this happened before 9:30 am…what a way to start the day! I even had to drive back down to the art center later that day for my own art class. Oy Vey!

No comments:

Post a Comment